Saturday, February 28, 2009

This, That, These, Those

We use this and that for singular nouns: this book/that book
We use these and those for plural nouns. these books/those books

We use this and these for things that are near.
We use that and those for things that are far.

Watch this silly video by english4u, a British teacher in Saudi Arabia, to see the difference:



Watch Paul's video to learn how to pronounce the th sounds in this, that, these, and those.



This, that, these, and those are adjectives when they come before a noun:
  • I want this book. I don't want that book (or that one).
  • These videos are good for reviewing grammar. Those videos have English songs.
This, that, these, and those are pronouns when there is no noun after them.
  • What is this?
  • Please give me some of that.
  • These are my friends.
  • I want those.

No comments:

Post a Comment